You may have heard about the numerous hazardous foods, plants, and other items for your dogs and puppies. In this article, our vets in Vancouver will discuss household items that are poisonous to dogs. We will also review the symptoms you should watch out for and the available treatments.

What is poisonous to dogs & puppies?

Most of the poisoning cases seen by our vets at Vancouver occur because pets have gotten into things around the house that were not stored safely. Because pet parents were unaware that these substances are harmful to dogs. Certain foods, medications, and common household items may appear safe, but they can be fatal if ingested by our four-legged companions.

To ensure the safety and well-being of your cherished pet, here are some of the most common things that can be toxic to dogs & puppies:


Being vigilant about keeping medications out of your dog's reach is crucial. Dogs can ingest highly poisonous over-the-counter medication. Such as painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as prescription medications. Some medications toxic to dogs include, but are not limited to:

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • Ibuprofen (Advil)
  • Aspirin
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
  • Indomethacin & Other NSAID's
  • Xanax, Ambien, Valium & Other Sleeping Pills
  • ACE Inhibitors & Other Blood Pressure Meds
  • ADHD Medications
  • Beta Blockers
  • Adderall
  • Many Herbal & Nutraceutical Products

People Food

Dogs have different metabolisms than humans, so many foods that are safe and enjoyable for us can pose a danger, even a fatality risk, to them. If your dog eats any of the following foods, immediately contact your veterinarian for assistance:

  • Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum)
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes
  • Raisins 
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Alcohol 

Veterinary Products

Medications and preventive products are essential for maintaining your pet's health, but it can be fatal if your canine companion mistakenly consumes or overuses them. To keep your dog safe, make sure to store these items out of their reach and use them strictly as instructed by your veterinarian with:

  • Painkillers
  • Dewormers
  • Flea & Tick Treatments
  • Heartworm Prevention Medications

Household Products

Many households store a wide array of chemicals, most of which pose significant dangers to our pets' health. Consuming these can prove fatal for our four-legged companions. Ensure the safe storage of all household chemicals, with a particular emphasis on:

  • Antifreeze
  • Paint Thinner
  • Household Cleaners
  • Swimming Pool Chemicals
  • Lawn & Garden Chemicals
  • Toilet Cleaners

Rodenticides & Insecticides

Rat poison and insecticides come in a variety of forms and can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for. If you are dealing with rodents or other critters invading your home, be sure that your pet can't get into the substances you put down. Store these products up high or in an area out of your pup's reach. Some common chemicals that fall into this category include:

  • Warfarin & Other Anticoagulant Rodenticides
  • Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Rodenticides
  • Vengeance & Bromethalin Rodenticides
  • Organophosphates and Carbamates
  • Pyrethroids
  • Metaldehyde


The extensive list of common household and garden plants that pose toxicity risks to our four-legged friends cannot be comprehensively listed. However, you should avoid having a few, including:

  • Azaleas
  • Rhododendrons
  • Tulips
  • Daffodils
  • Sago's palms 
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettia
  • Philodendron
  • Peace lily 

What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?

Stay calm and ensure the poison's source is out of your dog's reach. Then, get your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Call Us:  (360) 574-7290 or get your dog to the nearest emergency hospital.

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:

  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhea
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate

Understanding what is bad for dogs is crucial for providing a safe and loving environment. Be vigilant about keeping harmful substances out of your puppy's reach, and if you suspect your puppy has ingested something toxic, contact your veterinarian immediately. 

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

This post does not list all substances that are toxic to dogs. If you are uncertain about something your dog has ingested, immediately contact our Vancouver vets or your nearest animal emergency hospital.